Last week didn’t go to plan. We had the Pizza and the hot dog sausage rolls, we also managed a past dish, but it was not on the days I suggested…and…slapped wrists for me..we had two take outs.
To be fair it was a difficult week, after my hospital appointment I just wanted to sleep, and then we had a funeral which just left me drained. So that’s when the take outs were ordered.
I’m trying something new. I’m changing my shopping day to Friday instead of Monday. That means I’m going to have to substitute this week by buying meals up until Friday, but after that we’ll be on a weekly budget again.
This Weeks meal plan menu
- Saturday – Curry
- Sunday – Gammon and potatoes
- Monday – Pizzas
- Tuesday – pasta bake/mac and cheese
- Wednesday – pies
- Thursday – Sausages (maybe toad-in-the-hole, or just with egg and chips
- Friday – fish
My Recipe for Mac and Cheese
I love Mac an cheese because it’s so versatile, you can basically throw in whatever you want. Here’s how we like it best.
- 200g macaroni
- 100g cheddar
- 50g mozerella
- 50g butter
- 1 tbs flour
- pinch salt and pepper
- 300ml milk (or half milk and half cream)
- toppings such as bacon, cauliflower, breadcrumbs
- First step is to cook the macaroni with the packet instructions. I like to stop cooking a little sooner so it still has some bite.
- Then melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour to create a paste then slowly add the milk stirring all the time to prevent any lumps.
- When it’s mixed smooth and heated up add the cheeses and stir in until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and take off the heat
- Add the macaroni
- season with salt and pepper
- place into oven proof dish and sprinkle on toppings. ( I always do two dishes for me and my daughter – she likes cooked and chopped bacon on hers and I like a little roasted cauliflower. Or we just make do with some breadcrumbs.)
- Bake for around 15 minutes at 180 C
This week will be expensive because of doing two shops, but hopefully I’ll get it sorted by not paying out for take outs.