Four years ago my Little Girl made a lovely Valentines Cake. She did it mostly by herself after receiving some cake decorations in the post. She was nine years old at the time and I think she did a really good job.
Valentines Cake Recipe
8oz self-raising flour
8oz unsalted butter
8oz caster sugar
1tbs cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4
- Put the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and mix until creamy
- Add the eggs on at a time and beat into the mixture
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and mix
- Pour into an 8″ round tin which has been greased and lined with baking paper
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool and then decorate.
Decorating the Cake
4oz of soft unsalted butter
8oz icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
A selection of decorations,
we used sugar sprinkles, icing roses and white flowers from Cake Angels
- Put the unsalted butter in a bowl
- Sift in the icing sugar
- add the vanilla extract and mix
- cover the top and side of the cake with the buttercream
- decorate as you wish
Videos of Valentines Cake
Here are a couple of videos we made of my girl both making the cake and then decorating it. She was at the age when she wanted to be a You Tuber, the career of choice of so many youngsters these days. She has grown out of that now and as a teen she shies away from the camera. Which I think is a shame as I feel she had a talent she could have developed. Not that most parents wish for a You Tube career for their youngsters!
This is part of my new cake series on this blog. You can find some of my other cakes here:
Or why not try Casa Costello’s delicious Ginger Cake recipe?