Chocolate Orange Torte
Chocolate and orange make a delicious combination and both are included in this torte. With a sweet pastry base, a chocolate and orange filling and topped with oranges there is lots to like about this recipe.
Ingredients, serves 8
200g caster sugar
4 tbs water
2 oranges, thinly sliced
475g sweet shortcrust pastry
100g butter, soft
100g ground almonds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100g of dark chocolate
- Put half the sugar and the measured water in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the orange slices and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes until the oranges are tender and most of the syrup has evaporated. let cool.
- Roll out the pasty on a lightly floured surface until a little larger than a greased 9 1/2 inch fluted loose-bottomed tart tin.
- line the tin with the pasty and chill for 15 minutes
- Line the tart with nonstick baking paper, add baking beans and place on a baking sheet.
- bake in a preheated oven, 190C gas mark 5 for 10 minutes
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C, gas mark 4
- Beat together the butter and the remaining sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
Add the ground almonds, then gradually beat in the eggs until smooth. Set Aside
Reserve 10 of the best orange slices, then drain and chop the rest.
- Stir the chocolate into the almond mixture, then mix in the chopped oranges.
- Spread into the tart case, arrange the reserved orange slices on top and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin.
Slice and Enjoy!